Go to ...
Ipswich24 Magazine on YouTubeRSS Feed

Breaking News

18th July 2019

Your Views: Ipswich Street Light Switch Off


The debate rages on with over 75% of your telling us in our survey that you do “not” want the lights switched off completely. – See our reader comments below and add your own to the debate.

HAVE YOUR SAY – Take part in the poll to the left on your view of the Ipswich Street Light Switch Off.

Most street lights in Ipswich are to be turned off after midnight and others dimmed as part of a County Council bid to save energy, but Ipswich Borough chiefs have called for better consultation and constant monitoring to ensure public safety remains paramount.

An overwhelming 94% of street lights in the town are controlled by the County Council, which has decided to cut the use of lights at night throughout Suffolk. The remaining 6% are controlled by the Ipswich Borough Council, whose ruling Executive last night (Tuesday) voted to purchase the equipment to allow the Borough’s lights to be switched off, but asked for more consultation with the public.

The Borough lights will remain on until Councillors can assess the impact of the County Council’s action.

There are many benefits to the new controlling mechanisms that would dim and switch off lights after midnight – they can spot a faulty bulb before it fails – and both town and county will cut their carbon footprint and save energy. But the Executive stressed there was a balance with public safety and confidence and called on the county council to step up their consultation with the public and the Police.

[poll id=”2″]Transport portfolio-holder Councillor Phil Smart said: “Only a very small proportion of street lights are controlled by Ipswich Borough Council but we are determined to give residents all over the town a voice and to ensure that any concerns they have about a possible impact on crime and safety for pedestrians are listened to. We will also ensure that lighting is maintained constantly at main roads, some traffic junctions and town centre locations.”

Residents wanting to comment on the proposals can visit
www.suffolk.gov.uk/streetlighting
Email streetlighting@suffolk.gov.uk
Write to Street Lighting Team, 5th floor Endeavour House, 8
Russell Road, Ipswich, IP1 2BX

More Stories From Ipswich News

About