At the first sign of sunshine, many people head for the beach. With the cool breeze from the sea, the feeling of warm sand underneath your feet, and an ice-cream in your hand, it all becomes too much to resist.
Whether it’s letting the kids run around or take a swim, or just sitting on the deckchair with a good book, the beach experience offers something for everyone, both young and old.
To make sure your day trip to the beach is the dream and not turned into a nightmare by following these safety tips issued by Suffolk Police:
• Don’t take valuables to the beach, or leave them unattended.
• Make sure the beach is dog friendly as you can’t leave your dog in a car alone. Even with windows open, it can take just 20 minutes for dogs to suffer from heatstroke and die (source: The Kennel Club).
• Don’t leave car keys under wheel arches.
• Supervise your children at all times and especially near the water.
• Beware of powerful tidal waters and always read and obey any safety signs.