You are invited to the Big Garden Party. The whole community is pulling together this year to put on a fantastic event on Saturday 23rd July, as part of Suffolk Open Weekend – in the build-up to London 2012 Olympics celebrations.
Organised by the Town & Bridge Project community garden, Ipswich Borough Council, Maidenhall Residents’ Association, Maidenhall Allotments and Bourne Vale Social Club, the event promises to be a great day out for all the family. The event will be a chance to look around the People’s Community Garden, which will be showcasing its African Garden – part of a major schools project.
Try out woodland crafts in the orchard, and sit back and relax to music wafting from the summerhouse, including the ever-younger Keep On Rockin’ singers and Songlines African singing group. To make sure you stay upbeat, Samboomba Samba Band and African drummers will also be playing. Over on Bourne Vale playing fields, where youth teams will be showcasing football and cricket, a special feature will be a free giant climbing wall.
Visit the bar, and have a go at karaoke, or nip over the road to the Bowling Pavilion for a round of bowls – don’t worry if you’re a beginner, there will be the experts on hand to show you how to play. Drop into the pavilion to have a cuppa and piece of homemade cake and browse secondhand books and handmade gift cards. Maidenhall Allotments are organising competitions and games, as well as pooling their produce to put on a great stand of veg. If you’re under 12, make sure you get a scarecrow entered for their competition. Just bring it along on the day – before 1.30pm.
So it’s over to you . . .
• If you’d like to show off what you’ve grown this year, please bring it along to our Produce Show by 1.30pm on the day – judging will take place shortly afterwards.
• The IAHA Pumpkin Challenge will also be open for entries on the day.
• To enter our Scarecrow Competition, please bring your entry to the site by 4pm on Friday 22 July, or by 1.30pm on the day.
• If you have any tough gardening questions – come and ask our panel of experts from BBC Radio Suffolk and maybe even TV!
• Bourne Vale Social club are hosting a Car Boot Sale as part of this great community event. Please call 01473 687685 to book a pitch as soon as possible, to avoid disappointment.
• Don’t forget to be green and walk, cycle or take the bus to the event if you can.
For further information, call 01473 261112.