The 2020 British Final will be held at Foxhall Stadium on Saturday 26th September at 7.30pm after the government announced that it would be one of the sporting events used to pilot the safe return of spectators to elite sport.
League racing in Britain was cancelled in July without a wheel being turned due to the coronavirus pandemic and so news that the showpiece event will take place with a limited number of spectators will come as a boost to speedway fans across the country.
The event was scheduled to take place in June at the National Speedway Stadium but has been moved to Foxhall due to the experience the venue has in hosting events with spectators during the pandemic and it was therefore decided by the government that it would be the best place for a test event.
There will be a limited number of spectators on the terraces with all tickets having to be bought online prior to the event. There will be no turnstile ticket sales on the day. Tickets are priced at £20 for adults whilst children 15 and under go free. You must purchase your ticket online on the SpeedwayGB website ahead of the event. Turnstiles will open at 6.30pm and the line-up for the event will be released in the next few days.
Supporters attending the event should familiarise themselves with the ‘Spectator Code of Conduct’ ahead of their visit which can be found at the bottom of this article.
Promoter Chris Louis said that it was an honour to be hosting the event at Ipswich and is excited to see some racing at Foxhall.
“It is an honour to be hosting the test event and it shows a lot of faith in the club’s ability to do that,” said Louis. “It is great to have the flagship event as far as domestic speedway goes at Ipswich. I am really excited, the line-up will be a competitive line-up, full of people that I know are out trying to find laps wherever they can and trying to dial themselves in. They’ve got one shot at a meeting some of them and they want to make a good job of it.”
Louis is determined to make sure the event runs smoothly and is an enjoyable and relaxing evening for all those supporters in attendance despite the guidelines that will be in place at the stadium.
“It is a COVID secure event and with that in mind, things are going to be a little different. We are going to try and make it as relaxed and enjoyable as possible, so I don’t think anyone has got anything to worry about as far as that is concerned and we aim to make a really good job of it.
“It is a test event which will have a bearing on all sports and their ability to have fans in stadiums, that is a reason to make it a success. Speedway is one of those sports and it could affect some of those clubs wanting to run in front of spectators in October. So, we will be doing everything we can to make it a success.”
Spectator Code of Conduct
Ipswich Speedway Foxhall Stadium
In order to assist our staff and stewards, and to help protect you and your fellow spectators, you are kindly requested to follow these guidelines.
- This event is strictly pre-booked ticket only.
- Access to the stadium will only be granted through the turnstiles with a valid proof of ticket payment (PayPal) and where necessary proof of allocated seating (email). All members of your social bubble must be named on this confirmation, including all children and you must enter together as a group (social bubble).
- If you are presenting a fever or any common symptoms of Covid-19 you must not attend the event. If you have a fever or any common symptoms of Covid-19 within 14 days of attending the event please report this to firstname.lastname@example.org immediately.
- At all times and in all parts of the stadium please observe social distancing and avoid close contact with others not in your social or support bubble.
- Please be aware that FACE COVERINGS are mandatory at all times whilst inside the stadium including the turnstiles other than children under 11 and exempt adults. It is your responsibility to supply your own FACE COVERING and failure to do so will cause your entry into the stadium to be refused and no refund will be issued. It is permitted to remove your face covering for eating and drinking only.
- All spectators that have been admitted into the stadium must remain in the stadium. If you wish to leave the venue at any time you may do so, but re-admittance will not be permitted.
- Please note that the upper terrace is for access to viewing areas, food and drink outlets and toilets only, please do not congregate in this area and return to your seat or viewing position as quickly as possible.
- When navigating the grandstand access please use the lay-bys provided and wait for oncoming spectators to pass.
- If you are in a seated area when moving past others please avoid face to face contact with other spectators.
- If you are in a standing area please remain in your social or support bubble and be aware of the movement of others around you.
- When cheering or celebrating please remain in your social or support bubble and avoid close contact with others.
- Maintain good hand hygiene by using the hand sanitizers provided as regularly as necessary.
- Please ensure that all members of your social and support bubble read and understand these guidelines.
You may experience some delays, please show courtesy to our staff, they are here to assist you. We thank you for your support and cooperation. Following these guidelines will help us all – your fellow fans, your club, your sport and your community.
STAY ALERT, STAY SAFE.