Victoria Hall murder inquiry – 23rd anniversary update

Monday next week will mark the 23rd anniversary of the disappearance of a teenage girl from Trimley St Mary, as a dedicated team of detectives and police staff continue to investigate her murder.

Victoria Hall, aged 17, was last seen alive in the early hours of Sunday 19 September 1999, in High Road, Trimley St Mary.

Victoria left home on the evening of Saturday 18 September 1999 to go for a night out with a friend at the Bandbox nightclub in Bent Hill, Felixstowe, where they remained until around 1am on the morning of Sunday 19 September.

They then went to get some food at the Bodrum Grill in Undercliff Road West, before beginning the walk back to Trimley St Mary. They parted at around 2.20am near to the junction of High Road and Faulkeners Way. Victoria was just yards away from her home.

When Victoria’s parents woke-up that morning and discovered that she had not returned home, the police were called and a missing person inquiry commenced.

Five days later, on Friday 24 September, Victoria’s naked body was found in a ditch beside a field by a dog walker in Creeting Lane, Creeting St Peter, approximately 25 miles away from where she was last seen.

In September 2019, Suffolk Police revealed that the case – known as Operation Avon – was now a live inquiry again and being fully reinvestigated by a new team of detectives, after fresh information had been received that was not previously known.

The inquiry team is now comprised of 25 dedicated officers and police staff who are working full time on the case and are continuing to make significant progress.

A man who was arrested on suspicion of murder on 28 July 2021 and taken into police custody for questioning remains under investigation.

Detective Chief Superintendent Andy Smith, the Senior Investigating Officer, said: “Victoria has been at the forefront of our minds throughout this new inquiry, but the anniversary date of her disappearance is a particularly significant time – one when we can all pause and reflect on a young life ended so brutally.  

“Our dedicated inquiry team are continuing to work extremely hard and we are making good progress. This is complex and methodical work which takes time, but it is absolutely necessary.

“Victoria’s family continue to be patient with us and offer their full support, which we are extremely grateful for. Their dignity is truly humbling and we are determined to do everything we can to obtain justice for them.

“Once again, I would repeat my appeal to anyone with information about Victoria’s murder who has not yet come forward, to do the right thing and contact us.

“Despite the progress we have made, we still need anyone who knows anything about this crime to contact us. If you have any information – no matter how insignificant this may seem – we want to hear from you.”

Detectives are continuing to appeal for anyone with information about Victoria’s murder to contact the Major Investigation Team, via either the online portal or by telephone as detailed below: